Figured out the problem. For future reference, a more informative log entry
appeared in /var/log/dirsrv/slapd-<domain>/errors:

Entry "uid=ian,cn=users,cn=accounts,dc=sbgrid,dc=org" has unknown object class
"radiusprofile"

Sure enough, when I upgraded our old (v1) FreeIPA server I had to add some
schema because "radiusprofile" was a previously-included objectClass. I guess
the upgraded server didn't include that schema. After ldapmodifying the user
accounts to remove that objectClass, we're back in business.

~irl