On 02/03/2012 08:02 AM, Natxo Asenjo wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 3, 2012 at 8:31 AM, Dale Macartney
> <d...@themacartneyclan.com> wrote:
>
>> I have been experimenting with how best to address this, however I am
>> constantly being pushed back to the only way of having a userdir that
>> actually exists would be a homdir which would be created when a user
>> first logs in.
>>
>> Yes, if you ssh to the dovecot server as the user (with oddjobd running
>> in the background) it will create the homedir with no problems and the
>> issue is resolved, however users should not *have to* interactively log
>> into a server just to allow them to access mail.
>>
>> my only thinking here is shared homedirs (nfs?) between clients and
>> servers, however my thoughts on this are "if dovecot is redirecting a
>> users mail to their homedir, then why do we need dovecot to access it
>> via imap when the mail will already appear in their homedir?"
>>
>> does anyone have any thoughts on this?
>
> If you have an imap server instead of local mail, people do not have
> to login a desktop/text session to check their e-mail. They can access it
> from any imap client, even webmail.

agreed, however the issue at hand, is that dovecot is failing to store
the mail anyway in order to make it accessible in the first place.

does anyone have any thoughts on how to have the homedirs auto created
(with the correct perms and selinux contexts) by a process/service that
is not initiated by the login process? oddjob and pam_mkhomedir do not
get involved here as it is not an interactive login. (i could be wrong
however this is what I am seeing).

Dale