Steven Jones wrote:
Hi,

Trying to get my head around these....is it possible to create a group administrator say
"engineering team administrator"  and have that role only able to add specific
users (how to specify?) to specific user groups (say) ie I want to be able to delegate
responsibility for limited groups and users to others and limit their functioanilty...?

Need a little more to go on. It is that "how to specify" question that really matters. How DO you distinguish between users? You can add extra attributes to break them into groups, or you can literally put them into extra groups and manage them that way (easiest). But you definitely need a way to distinguish them.

Creating this type of permission would require a bit of LDAP knowledge, mostly just knowing which attributes to use. It all depends on what responsibility you are delegating.

I'm not entirely sure what you're after so I don't want to guess and end up down a deep rabbit hole, but it is probably going to be easiest to break the permissions into smaller components like:

Users in group A can manage the membership of group B
Users in group A can manage this small set of attributes of members of group B

Both of these are relatively straightforward. I can provide examples if you can give me some more guidance on what you're looking for.

I dont find that section of the manual very easy to understand....I'd like
examples or more explanation....

Also if such a say (bad) "engineering team administrator" could add anyone say
THE admin to a group that the (bad) admin had password changes in/on then this allows the
bad admin to change that admin user password............the user then effectively owns
the IPA system...?

Yes, it would be a problem if you granted password change permission to a bad admin. That is true in any system.

Given that we've got a ticket open to limit those who can change the password of those in the admins group to those in the admins group, so helpdesk can change user's passwords but not admins. That is currently possible.

regards