Dmitri Pal wrote:
On 04/09/2012 03:02 PM, KodaK wrote:
On Mon, Apr 9, 2012 at 1:53 PM, Dmitri Pal<d...@redhat.com>  wrote:
On 04/09/2012 02:50 PM, KodaK wrote:
On Mon, Apr 9, 2012 at 1:46 PM, Dmitri Pal<d...@redhat.com>  wrote:
On 04/09/2012 02:41 PM, KodaK wrote:
On Mon, Apr 9, 2012 at 1:34 PM, Dmitri Pal<d...@redhat.com>  wrote:
On 04/09/2012 02:07 PM, KodaK wrote:
I have two IPA servers.  The primary/master is SLPIDML01 and the
replica is SLPIDML01.  I have followed the instructions for creating a
replica and the install on SLPIDML02 completed successfully.  However,
the instructions tell me to add some entries to the DNS zone file, and
I'm stumped.

The FreeIPA documentation has this to say about setting up DNS for replicas:

Updating DNS for IPA Replicas

After you have configured a new IPA replica, you should update your
DNS entries so that IPA clients can discover the new server. For
example, for an IPA replica with a server name of $HOST, you should
add the following entries to your zone file:

_ldap._tcp             IN SRV 0 100 389       $HOST
_kerberos._tcp         IN SRV 0 100 88 $HOST
_kerberos._udp         IN SRV 0 100 88 $HOST
_kerberos-master._tcp  IN SRV 0 100 88 $HOST
_kerberos-master._udp  IN SRV 0 100 88 $HOST
_kpasswd._tcp          IN SRV 0 100 464 $HOST
_kpasswd._udp          IN SRV 0 100 464 $HOST
_ntp._udp              IN SRV 0 100 123 $HOST

I know very little about configuring DNS.  Where exactly should this
go?  It says to add it to your zone file, all I see is a
named.rfc1912.zones file, and it appears to be rather structured.  Do
I just dump these at the end?  That doesn't seem to make any sense.  I
see a reference to /var/named/example.com.zone.db, but I don't have
one for my domain, and I still don't know what the format of the file
should be.  Do I need to make entries for both hosts (and any others I
add in the future?)

What DNS server do you use?
Did you consider using DNS server that comes with IPA?

I am using the DNS server that comes with IPA.
Then the replicas are added automatically to the DNS servers managed by
IPA. I think the documentation refers to the case when you are not using
the DNS server provided by IPA. Then you need to add mentioned entries.
If this is not clear please open a ticket and provide a pointer to the
section that caused the confusion.
I've opened a ticket, thanks.

When I manually turn off the network interfaces on the master, the
replica does not take over.
How you test it?
The client will fail over if it can't access the server that you turned
off.

For the record, the documentation makes no discernible differentiation
between IPA's DNS and external DNS:

"Once the installation process completes, update the DNS entries so
that IPA clients can discover the new server. For example, for an IPA
replica with a hostname of ipareplica.example.com:"
Sorry, I thought I did reply to the list.

I must be misunderstanding something.

When I ipa-replica-install it does not automatically set up a DNS
replica, correct?

When I run ipa dnsrecord-add domain.com @ --ns-rec
slpidml02.unix.magellanhealth.com. I'm only telling IPA that this new
host is now a nameserver, correct?

So at what point do DNS entries replicate?  Or do I set that up outside of IPA?

Thanks again,

--Jason

Rob,

When we add replicas, do we create SRV records for them automatically? I
thought so but may be I am wrong? Can you please chime in?

Yes, we always try to create the SRV records when installing a replica.