Dan Scott wrote:
On Tue, May 8, 2012 at 1:55 AM,<free...@noboost.org>  wrote:
Hi,

Spec:
Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 6.2 (Santiago)
  ipa-admintools-2.1.3-9.el6.x86_64
  ipa-client-2.1.3-9.el6.x86_64
  ipa-pki-ca-theme-9.0.3-7.el6.noarch
  ipa-pki-common-theme-9.0.3-7.el6.noarch
  ipa-python-2.1.3-9.el6.x86_64
  ipa-server-2.1.3-9.el6.x86_64
  ipa-server-selinux-2.1.3-9.el6.x86_64

Issue:
Firstly I'll declare someone must have seen this by now?

I've set the password policy to 99999;
[root@sysvm-ipa ~]# ipa pwpolicy-show
  Group: global_policy
  Max lifetime (days): 99999
  Min lifetime (hours): 1
  History size: 0
  Character classes: 0
  Min length: 6
  Max failures: 6
  Failure reset interval: 60
  Lockout duration: 600

But old accounts are not getting the change at the ldap level, even
though IPA claims the expiry date has updated.
e.g.
[root@sysvm-ipa ~]# ipa pwpolicy-show --user=john
  Group: global_policy
  Max lifetime (days): 99999
  Min lifetime (hours): 1
  History size: 0
  Character classes: 0
  Min length: 6
  Max failures: 6
  Failure reset interval: 60
  Lockout duration: 600

ldapsearch (command chopped)
# john, users, accounts, teratext.saic.com.au
dn: uid=john,cn=users,cn=accounts,dc=example,dc=com
krbPasswordExpiration: 20120506011529Z

So now when the user(s) logs in, I'm getting "password will expire in XX
days" messages.

Any ideas?
Can I globally update this somehow, otherwise I'll be re-typing
passwords for a while.

A password reset by admin always expires the password. I think once
the user first changes their password it will have the lifetime that
you specified.

You can force the expiration date using an ldapmodify command:

ldapmodify -x -D 'cn=directory manager' -W -h $IPA_SERVER -p 389 -vv
-f update_krbpasswordexpiration.ldif

Where the update_krbpasswordexpiration.ldif file contains:

dn: uid=$USERNAME,cn=users,cn=accounts,dc=example,dc=com
changetype: modify
replace: krbpasswordexpiration
krbpasswordexpiration: 20140202203734Z

You could do this as admin if you have a ticket so that you don't have
to enter the directory manager password.

This is great, thanks Dan.

BTW the equivalent command using a Kerberos ticket is:

$ ldapmodify -Y GSSAPI -h $IPA_SERVER -p 389 -vv -f update_krbpasswordexpiration.ldif