Dale Macartney wrote:

Hi all

I may be overlooking something here, but from what I can gather, the
value in the ipa config of "Default e-mail domain for new users" should
automatically create the mail attribute for said user upon creation?

Do I need to do an additional step or something to activate the mail
attribute or is it missing?

Any pointers on what I'm missing to mail-enable a user in ldap?

Running RHEL 6.2 x86_64 with ipa-server 2.1.3-9.el6

Output from ipa server as follows

[root@ds01 ~]# ipa config-show
   Max. username length: 32
   Home directory base: /home
   Default shell: /bin/bash
   Default users group: ipausers
   Default e-mail domain for new users: example.com
   Search time limit: 2
   Search size limit: 100
   User search fields: uid,givenname,sn,telephonenumber,ou,title
   Group search fields: cn,description
   Enable migration mode: FALSE
   Certificate Subject base: O=EXAMPLE.COM
   Password Expiration Notification (days): 4
[root@ds01 ~]#

[root@ds01 ~]# ldapsearch -x -b dc=example,dc=com -P 3 -b
"uid=testuser,cn=users,cn=accounts,dc=example,dc=com"
# extended LDIF
#
# LDAPv3
# base<uid=testuser,cn=users,cn=accounts,dc=example,dc=com>  with scope
subtree
# filter: (objectclass=*)
# requesting: ALL
#

# testuser, users, accounts, example.com
dn: uid=testuser,cn=users,cn=accounts,dc=example,dc=com
displayName: testuser 1
cn: testuser 1
objectClass: top
objectClass: person
objectClass: organizationalperson
objectClass: inetorgperson
objectClass: inetuser
objectClass: posixaccount
objectClass: krbprincipalaux
objectClass: krbticketpolicyaux
objectClass: ipaobject
objectClass: mepOriginEntry
loginShell: /bin/bash
sn: 1
gecos: testuser 1
homeDirectory: /home/testuser
krbPwdPolicyReference:
cn=global_policy,cn=EXAMPLE.COM,cn=kerberos,dc=example,
  dc=com
krbPrincipalName: testu...@example.com
givenName: testuser
uid: testuser
initials: t1
uidNumber: 1668600004
gidNumber: 1668600004
ipaUniqueID: 0d620620-acfd-11e1-943c-52540025e829
mepManagedEntry: cn=testuser,cn=groups,cn=accounts,dc=example,dc=com
krbPasswordExpiration: 20120831215158Z
krbLastPwdChange: 20120602215158Z
krbExtraData:: AAL+ispPdGVzdHVzZXJARVhBTVBMRS5DT00A
krbExtraData:: AAgBAA==
krbLastSuccessfulAuth: 20120602215703Z
krbLoginFailedCount: 0

# search result