On 08/01/2012 06:13 AM, free...@noboost.org wrote:
Hi All,

NOTE: I posted this on the 389 forum, they rightly suggested this is
most likely and IPA issue.

Spec:
Redhat Enterprise Linux 6.3 x64

- ipa-server-2.2.0-16.el6.x86_64
- 389-ds-base-1.2.10.2-18.el6_3.x86_64
- 389-ds-base-libs-1.2.10.2-18.el6_3.x86_64

We had a simple (but quite drammatic) issue the other day. Our
backup script simply does a cold backup of the 389 Directory Server,
however this time it didn't start back up.

Script simply runs: /etc/init.d/ipa stop

Error from Log:
[31/Jul/2012:02:00:38 +1000] - slapd stopped.
[31/Jul/2012:02:00:43 +1000] createprlistensockets - PR_Bind() on
All
Interfaces port 636 failed: Netscape Portable Runtime error -5982
(Local
Network address is in use.)

Is there anyway to work out why this happened?
Is this an IPA issue that is known about?

When I did a manual restart in the morning it was fine. The backups
even worked perfectly last night too. Sounds like a bug in the ipa
shutdown script?

How long is a delay between slapd shutdown and restart? Sometimes there is time window (after process shutdown) in which port cannot be occupied again, I'm unsure why. (My guess: It is related to improperly closed TCP connections and some timers in TCP/IP stack...)

"netstat" may or may not give you some clue to what is wrong.

You can check ports in listening state with command:
$ sudo netstat -lpt
It should show currently running processes and TCP ports occupied by them.

$ sudo netstat -ta
This command should show all TCP connections (including connections in intermediate states) with process to which they belong.

Petr^2 Spacek