An interesting problem has popped up and I am not sure where the issue
lies. Users logging in are presented with "cannot find name for user ID"
etc. etc. for all groups they are a member of

id returns nothing but the numbers, and a getent passwd <username>
returns nothing, when running as the user.

However, as root a getent passwd <username> works.

I am taking a look through logs and haven't found much so far, another
user experienced a similar issue and a ipa-client-install --uninstall
and reinstall (this is starting to feel like windows :) did the trick
for them, however it has not solved the issue for me.

I have also cleared the sssd cache, and given that process a kick to no
avail.

Firewall rules have not changed, and I assume the ipa-client-install
process would have failed if a firewall issue was present.

After increasing sssd logging levels I see a lot of requests for the
user in the sssd logs, but no returns, not that I know if the logging is
supposed to log the return.

This is on a RHEL 5.8 client:
ipa-client-2.1.3-2.el5_8
sssd-1.5.1-49.el5_8.1