On 08/15/2012 05:13 PM, Rich Megginson wrote:
> On 08/15/2012 03:58 PM, Erinn Looney-Triggs wrote:
>> After a restart of the system I received the following errors:
>>
>> Starting dirsrv:
>>     FOO-COM...[15/Aug/2012:21:48:26 +0000] startup - The default
>> password storage scheme SSHA could not be read or was not found in the
>> file /etc/dirsrv/slapd-FOO-COM/dse.ldif. It is mandatory.
>>
>>     PKI-IPA...[15/Aug/2012:21:48:26 +0000] startup - The default
>> password storage scheme SSHA could not be read or was not found in the
>> file /etc/dirsrv/slapd-PKI-IPA/dse.ldif. It is mandatory.
>>
>>   *** Warning: 2 instance(s) failed to start
>> Failed to read data from Directory Service: Unknown error when
>> retrieving list of services from LDAP: [Errno 2] No such file or directory
>>

>> Turns out the the dse.ldif files were both empty, I copied from the
>> backup files, restarted, and everything worked fine. However I am
>> wondering how a situation like this can come about?
>
> Me too.  Did you have a power failure?  kill -9 the directory server?
>
>> -Erinn

Hmm no, not directly at least. I suppose it is possible that init didn't
want to wait for it to shut down, and eventually killed it as  last
resort. I think that is the default behaviour of init, or well upstart I
guess. It does seem an odd way to deal with a kill though, nuke the
config file.

-Erinn