Thank you Simo. My question is clarified.

Best Regards,
Tengda

From: "Simo Sorce";
Date: 2012??8??21??(??????) ????3:59
To: "Tengda";
Cc: "freeipa-users";
Subject: Re: [Freeipa-users] Which AD server is used by FreeIPA

----- Original Message -----
> Hello,
> I'm trying to build trust between FreeIPA and Windows Server 2008R2.
> It is said that FreeIPA uses samba as the AD server, but I found
> that 389 Directory Server is also installed. So which is used as the
> directory service for FreeIPA. If it is samba, why 389 Director
> Server is needed?

Hi Tengda,
FreeIPA uses some samba components to handle windows specific operations, but
does NOT uses Samba as an AD server. In fact FreeIPa is not an AD compatible
server and you cannot join Windows machines to it.

This is why we focused on trusts relationships.
Our model is based on keeping Windows and Linux machines separate. Windows
machine will use their native AD enviornment, while Linux machine are joined to
the FreeIPA domain and have linux-oriented management options not availbel in
AD domains (HBAC, SElinux integration, netgroups, sudo integration and so on..).

389 Directory server i the informations tore for the FreeIPA server and all
services use it to store/read data.

HTH,
Simo.