On 10/23/2012 10:29 AM, Fred van Zwieten wrote:
Hi all,

Thank you for you're input. I found a more or less similar solution here
<https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!topic/comp.protocols.dns.bind/mdhS0OxQnD4>
 (I
tried Google first, but the art there is to formulate the correct search
phrase..).

I seem to have it working by doing this:

1. Add A record for subns.example.com <http://subns.example.com>
2. Add NS record for sub.example.com <http://sub.example.com> to
subns.example.com <http://subns.example.com>

Although Petr says to stay away from forwarder, it does not work without them.
I had to enter zone forwarding addresses on example.com <http://example.com>.

After updates I only got it working after restarting named on the IPA server.

Thank you for the answers

Fred

Hello,

please provide detailed configuration for IPA and "sub" DNS server and I will investigate it.

For IPA, best way is to export whole DNS subtree to ldif:
$ kinit admin
$ ldapsearch -Y GSSAPI -b 'cn=dns,dc=example,dc=com' > /tmp/ipa.ldif

/var/named/* and /etc/named.conf files from both servers (IPA and also plain BIND) would be useful.

You can post these files to me privately if you want.

Thank you!

Petr^2 Spacek

    ipa.example.com <http://ipa.example.com>
    host.sub.example.com <http://host.sub.example.com>
    ipa.example.com <http://ipa.example.com> in resolv.conf
    <http://client.sub.example.com> in DNS server host.sub.example.com
    <http://host.sub.example.com>

    <http://client.sub.example.com> from

    <http://ipa.example.com> for zone

    <http://example.com> he would also try to

    <http://sub.example.com> is now called
    example.com <http://example.com> domain is needed
     > because otherwise the name cannot be resolved.
     >
     > HTH
     >
     > bye,
     > Sumit
     >

     >> I'm not sure if this is a IPA or a DNS issue..
     >>
     >> Fred

    Hello,

    please don't use forwarders, just create a NS+A record pair for
    "sub.example.com <http://sub.example.com>" domain in IPA DNS as Sumit
    wrote above.

    Current version seems to have some problems with forwarders, I will
    investigate it.

    Configuration with forwarders are often confusing, please don't use them if
it
    is not necessary.