On Wed 31 Oct 2012 08:56:14 AM EDT, Bret Wortman wrote:
Has anyone set things up so that individual users have the option to
automount a homedir or have one autocreated on each system they use
for them? I have some users who prefer one way and others who prefer
the other. Both have valid reasons and I'd rather not make an
authoritarian decision for one over the other.

 1. How could this be handled as a user option, set as the account is
    created or modified and open to adjustment later?

A feature could be added to SSSD to allow users to override the home directory location on individual clients. This feature would have to be subject to administrator approval in some way (to restrict where users could set their home directories and which users have this privilege). That requires some thought. Feel free to file an RFE at https://fedorahosted.org/sssd

 2. How might this be handled as a login option, allowing the user to
    select their automounted homedir or a local homedir?

This just isn't going to happen. Period.

The location of the user's home directory is an integral part of the user's identity on the system. It cannot vary at login time. All sessions of the logged-in user (as well as any application that calls getpwnam()) need to agree on this value or you will have problems.

Anyone already set this up and have it working well? I'd hate to spend
time re-inventing a wheel if there's already an excellent example in
the wild....

As a general rule, it's usually better to just make the decision on a per-system basis than a per-user basis. I.e. everyone who logs on to certain infrastructure systems will always use the automount home directory, but on personal systems they can be configured to not use automount.