are you talking about IPA WebUI or CLI or DNS dynamic update mechanism? On
which distribution and IPA version?
On 11/05/2012 10:35 PM, Michael Mercier wrote:
In webUI - just check the box "Create reverse" while adding a new A record.
"Allow PTR sync" affects only DNS dynamic update.
A couple of questions regarding DNS / Allow PTR sync.
1. If you have a zone 'example.com' and you enable "Allow PTR sync", should
you also enable the option in the reverse zone (e.g. 168.192.in-addr-arpa.)?
No, you don't. Change in webUI should be done immediately. For some time you
can see old data on DNS clients because DNS caches all the data extensively.
2. Do you have to wait a specified amount of time for the PTR record to be
removed after you remove a host?
1. Add 'testhost', 192.168.10.10 to 'example.com' (with Allow PTR sync enabled
on the zone) with 'Create reverse' enabled.
2. Remove 'testhost' from 'example.com'
3. Check 168.192.in-addr.arpa. zone and host 'testhost' still exists.
Seems like a bug to me, please file a ticket:
You will be prompted for Fedora account, registration link is:
Also, please note limitations of syncPTR on DNS server - it affects DNS
* If the change was made through IPA CLI/WebUI/LDAP directly - it does nothing
in any case.
* If idnsAllowSyncPTR = true and any A or AAAA record was changed through DNS
dynamic update mechanism - PTR is automatically updated.
* Change is synchronized only if reverse zone is part of LDAP and have dynamic
updates allowed (idnsAllowDynUpdate = TRUE).
* Enabling idnsAllowSyncPTR will not affect existing records as long as they
are not updated though DNS dynamic updates.
Freeipa-users mailing list