free...@noboost.org wrote:
Hi All,

Spec:
Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 6.3 (Santiago)
ipa-server-2.2.0-16.el6.x86_64

Issue:
I made a post a while back regarding IPA and the forcing of the hostname
to be a FQDN entry, rather than utilising `hostname --fqdn`

ref: https://www.redhat.com/archives/freeipa-users/2012-March/msg00012.html

Has this issue ever been addressed? As I've now bumped into an issue
with RSA Securid Auth Manager 6.1, which will not work on a server with
more than 27 characters in the hostname. Sadly our hostname does break
this is some cases.

I think Simo's answer in that thread is still true, there are many Kerberized programs that use gethostname() to create principals. If you removed this requirement you could be opening yourself up to other issues.