Brian Smith wrote:
Thanks for your response, and sorry for my late response.  I'm on RHEL6,
using the packages from the distribution
repository, ipa-server-2.2.0-17.el6_3.1.x86_64

My pwpolicy is set as such (in testing):

$ ipa pwpolicy-show --all
   dn: cn=global_policy,cn=rc.usf.edu
<http://rc.usf.edu>,cn=kerberos,dc=rc,dc=usf,dc=edu
   Group: global_policy
   Max lifetime (days): 365
   Min lifetime (hours): 1
   History size: 0
   Character classes: 0
   Min length: 8
   Max failures: 10
   Failure reset interval: 60
   Lockout duration: 600
   objectclass: top, nsContainer, krbPwdPolicy

If I create an account and set the password using the following JSON
string, against $server/ipa/json, say today,

{
  "method":"user_add",
  "params":[ [],
    {
      "uid":"it-rc-test-faculty",
      "homedirectory":"/home/i/it-rc-test-faculty",
      "userpassword":"MyPasswordInTheClear",
      "givenname":"RC TEST - Faculty",
      "sn":"Service_Account"
    }]
}

I get a password expiry time like so:

$ ipa user-show --all it-rc-test-faculty | grep krbpasswordexpiration
krbpasswordexpiration: 20130602163523Z

That's clearly not one year into the future, but more like 90 days.

Is there something else I'm missing or are we looking at a bug?

I still can't reproduce this. I tried from our 3.x branch and the 2.2 bits on 6.3.

Can you do: ipa pwpolicy-show --user=it-rc-test-faculty

This will show the policy applied to that user.

Might also check /var/log/dirsrv/slapd-REALM/errors for anything suspicious.

rob

Many thanks,
-Brian

On Tue, Feb 26, 2013 at 3:22 AM, Martin Kosek <mko...@redhat.com
<mailto:mko...@redhat.com>> wrote:

    On 02/25/2013 04:38 PM, Brian Smith wrote:
     > It seems that regardless of the global password expiry setting,
    that setting a
     > password via the methods
     >
     > user-add
     > passwd
     >
     > i will always have a password that expires in 90 days.  I
    followed the
     > instructions here http://freeipa.org/page/PasswordSynchronization
     >
     > to avoid the immediate expiry, but I need at least 180 days for my
     > configuration to work.
     >
     > Any help would be appreciated!
     >
     > --
     > Brian Smith
     > Assistant Director
     > Research Computing, University of South Florida
     > 4202 E. Fowler Ave. SVC4010
     > Office Phone: +1 813 974-1467 <tel:%2B1%20813%20974-1467>
     > Organization URL: http://rc.usf.edu

    Hello Brian,

    Updating maximum password expiration time with "ipa pwpolicy-mod"
    affects only
    new passwords, i.e. password that you already changed will have the
    old lifetime.

    When I tested this on Fedora 18, password change worked for me:

    # ipa pwpolicy-mod --maxlife 180
       Group: global_policy
       Max lifetime (days): 180
       Min lifetime (hours): 1
       History size: 0
       Character classes: 0
       Min length: 8
       Max failures: 6
       Failure reset interval: 60
       Lockout duration: 600

    # ipa user-add --first=Foo --last=Bar fbar
    -----------------
    Added user "fbar"
    -----------------
       User login: fbar
       First name: Foo
       Last name: Bar
       Full name: Foo Bar
       Display name: Foo Bar
       Initials: FB
       Home directory: /home/fbar
       GECOS field: Foo Bar
       Login shell: /bin/sh
       Kerberos principal: f...@example.com <mailto:f...@example.com>
       Email address: f...@example.com <mailto:f...@example.com>
       UID: 1758200001
       GID: 1758200001
       Password: False
       Member of groups: ipausers
       Kerberos keys available: False
    # ipa passwd fbar
    New Password:
    Enter New Password again to verify:
    ---------------------------------------
    Changed password for "f...@example.com <mailto:f...@example.com>"
    ---------------------------------------

    $ ssh f...@ipa.client.fqdn
    f...@ipa.client.fqdn's password:
    Password expired. Change your password now.
    Last login: Tue Feb 26 09:16:39 2013 from 10.0.0.1
    WARNING: Your password has expired.
    You must change your password now and login again!
    Changing password for user fbar.
    Current Password:
    New password:
    Retype new password:
    Your password will expire in 180 day(s).    <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
    passwd: all authentication tokens updated successfully.
    Connection to ipa.client.fqdn closed.

    Does this usecase work for you or are you hitting a bug?

    As for the warning about expiring password, this is a bug in sssd
    component
    which was already fixed upstream:

    https://fedorahosted.org/sssd/ticket/1808

    Martin