On Tue, 12 Mar 2013, de Jong, Mark-Jan wrote:
Hello,
I'm currently testing forest trusts in v3.0 on CentOS 6.4. I've got a
trust setup between my IPA forest (nix.ipatest.dom) and my Windows
forest (ipatest.dom). I have gone though the setup procedure as outlined
at http://freeipa.org/page/Howto/IPAv3_AD_trust_setup.

Everything works as described in that document. However, now I want to
add groups to IPA from another domain in the windows forest
(us.ipatest.dom) but can't figure out how to proceed. When trying to add
the a group from the US domain I get the following:

[root@ipa01 ~]# ipa group-add-member ad_admins_external --external 'US
\Domain Admins'
[member user]:
[member group]:
ipa: ERROR: invalid Gettext('external member', domain='ipa',
localedir=None): values are not recognized as valid SIDs from trusted
domain

I understand the error, but am not sure how to get this to work.
Creating a new trust between the IPA forest and the US domain results in
the following error, presumably because it's a transitive trust:

[root@ipa01 ~]# ipa trust-add --type=ad us.ipatest.dom --admin
Administrator --password
Active directory domain administrator's password:
ipa: ERROR: invalid Gettext('AD domain controller', domain='ipa',
localedir=None): unsupported functional level

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
We don't support transitive trusts right now. There is work is being
done to implement them, tracked with
https://fedorahosted.org/freeipa/ticket/3510, though before we get there
we need to finish a foundational work, including some changes in Samba
I'm currently working on and changes for SSSD.

You can see progress with the ticket above and others mentioned in it.
--
/ Alexander Bokovoy