hi,

probably a stupid question but why do we need to have a host spn in the kerberos domain for the nfsv4 client to work?

I do not need a host spn principal to access a cifs share on a Windows AD environment, I can just kinit user@AD.domain from my laptop that is not joined to the AD domain and once I got the ticket I can use smbclient -k or with the nautilus file manager I can browse to the shares get the cifs tickets accessing the shares.

With kerberized nfsv4 the host needs to be joined to the ipa domain or it will not work, and that is a shame, but there surely is a perfectly valid reason for this that I have not found yet.

Thanks for your insights on this matter.

--
groet,
natxo