On 09/13/2013 12:24 PM, Simo Sorce wrote:
> On Thu, 2013-09-12 at 11:23 -0400, sergey ivanov wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I am looking for deployment of freeIPA in our organization. We have
>> kerberos servers used for authentication on our computers and in
>> applications, while users are mostly defined in /etc/passwd.
>> For migration of user's password I have tried the way we usually do
>> replicating password changes from master kerberos server to slaves. I
>> did kdb5_util dump on old servers, transferred the dump to machine
>> running FreeIPA, and was not able to do kdb5_util load -update,
>> because of "Kerberos database constraints violated". Is there a way to
>> import into freeIPA kerberos servers dump of kerberos principals,
>> dumped by kdb5_util?
>>
> You could *try* do it *after* you create all users in freeipa, but I
> think you'd break something. At the very least you would break plain
> text binds as you would not generate the userPassword hash, not sure
> what else, and I cannot guarantee it really works all the way.
>
> Simo.

So the answer is no, not the way you envisioned it.
You need to get users from KDC DB. Reformat into and LDIF or just script
invocation of the ipa user-add command. You would need to set temp
passwords for users.
Users would have to change their passwords on the first login.

--
Thank you,
Dmitri Pal

Red Hat Inc.