we would like to get more details about DNS views and how you use them in real
life. Also, any idea how user a interface should work is more than welcome!
(If you don't know views, read it as "differentiate answer to a DNS query on
client's IP address basics".)
- For what purpose do you use views?
E.g. handling clients inside/outside of company network (e.g. hiding internal
names); Selecting nearest server in a big network; Some other weird 'Cloud'
scenarios etc. etc.
- How many views do you use?
- Do you share some data between views? How did you solve that? Do you use
some user interface for that?
- Do you use DNS updates? (nsupdate/RFC 2136/RFC 3007)
Previous discussions about DNS views:
Related tickets & bugs:
The next step will be to design LDAP schema for DNS data with views ...
I can see three basic options:
1) Resign from any data sharing, which will make the thing pretty easy :-)
In that case 'view1' will be represented by one sub-tree in LDAP, 'view2' will
be another sub-tree etc.
2) Select one sub-tree which will be 'the base' containing all shared records.
All other views will inherit and override data from the shared 'base'.
3) Make it as general as possible and allow multiple levels of inheritance.
View3 inherits from View2 and it inherits from Base.
(View3 <- View2 <- Base)
It is basically generalized variant (2), but it could require different LDAP
Please post your opinions!
Freeipa-users mailing list