From: Rob Crittenden [mailto:rcrit...@redhat.com]
Sent: Tuesday, October 15, 2013 3:52 PM
To: Mike Calautti; freeipa-users@redhat.com
Subject: Re: [Freeipa-users] stupid question

Mike Calautti wrote:
> Newbie
>
> I see a lot about DNS built into freeIPA.
>
> Im installing via yum on centos6.4
>
> Do I just ignore the DNS part since we have our own DNS servers? Or
> does freeIPA still need local DNS entries?

You don't need to run an IPA-specific DNS server, it just makes certain things
somewhat easier.

> Also, im not sure I follow "clients" I see it explains that you can
> add clients so services and use IPA..
>
> However, does any client that is supposed to authenticate users to
> freeIPA, need to be added as a client?

A client is any machine you want to use the IPA server for authentication (and
authorization). A separate enrollment script is provided, ipa-client-install,
that is used to provision and configure the client to work against IPA, by
default using sssd.

> Or is there just an ldap.conf file that tells the client to auth a
> user against the freeIPA server.

You are best off using our install script. You can opt to not use sssd if you
really want, or you can configure things manually. We recommend sticking with
the defaults, and using sssd.