Pablo Carranza wrote:
Greetings!

I only recently stumbled upon FreeIPA and am salivating at the mouth
(sorry for the gross mental picture!) in excitement.

Twice now, I've tried to install IPA server on a Centos 6.4 VPS at
DigitalOcean
<https://www.digitalocean.com/price-comparison-chart/?refcode=47494ed444e1>;
only to helplessly watch the install process hang at some point after
executing sudo ipa-server-install.

My 'Google skillz' are failing me in that I've only been able to find
these tutorials (neither of which, unfortunately, address the issue I'm
encountering):

  * http://www.howtoforge.com/installing-freeipa-with-replication
  * http://sgros.blogspot.com/2012/06/installing-freeipa-on-minimal-centos.html
  * http://www.server-world.info/en/note?os=CentOS_6&p=ipa

1.) Does anyone know of any good documentation out there on deploying
IPA server on CentOS (or, is it not advisable to do such a thing)?

It should be fine, lots of folks do it. The RHEL documentation is probably your best bet. See the Identity Management Guide here, https://access.redhat.com/site/documentation/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/?locale=en-US

To diagnose the hanging installer we'd need to see the server install log, /var/log/ipaserver-install.log.

I'm relatively 'green' in the Linux world and got started by diving into
Ubuntu.

2.) Is it possible to run a production server with IPA server on Ubuntu?

Since stumbling onto FreeIPA, I've finally started looking into Fedora.
While Fedora looks very interesting, most of the Internet-chatter I've
encountered seems to recommend CentOS over Fedora for
(RedHat-alternative) production servers.

No. The dependencies we need are not there yet, though it is being worked on.

3.) Any reason why a production server could not have IPA server on Fedora?

It can work and some people have done it but Fedora moves quickly with a release every 6 months or so which is too fast moving for some.