On Wed, 06 Nov 2013, Pablo Carranza wrote:

Have you guys/gals considered using Sphinx <http://sphinx-doc.org/>,
instead (perhaps, in conjunction with
ReadTheDocs.org<https://readthedocs.org/>
)?

Yes, we considered it.
Sphinx and ReadTheDocs are great for a library, but we're not really making a library. The tools we have now work well for us.

That said, if we wanted to document ipapython or ipaldap and make them available for projects other than IPA, I think Sphinx would be the tool to use.

I'm not sure how it helps -- we need a wiki working on FreeIPA org, it
is part of our development routine to work jointly on feature
development and we use wiki for that purpose -- see
http://www.freeipa.org/page/V3_Designs

We also have no need to use alternative hosting, current one is fine, so
github is not really a solution.

The developer docs, HOWTOs, release info, etc. are fine on the wiki.

IPA's end-user documentation is in Docbook/Publican, hosted at https://git.fedorahosted.org/git/docs/freeipa-guide.git -- once we make it presentable we'll host the built docs on freeipa.org as well. (Of course it's a Git repo, anyone is free to make a mirror on Github. I'm sure you can find one :P)

--
PetrĀ³