*From:*freeipa-users-boun...@redhat.com
[mailto:freeipa-users-boun...@redhat.com] *On Behalf Of *Dmitri Pal
*Sent:* Thursday, January 02, 2014 12:13 PM
*To:* freeipa-users@redhat.com
*Subject:* EXTERNAL: Re: [Freeipa-users] NIS Compat issues

On 01/02/2014 11:05 AM, Joseph, Matthew (EXP) wrote:

Hello,

I’ve recently had to restart my IPA servers and my NIS compatibility
mode has stopped working.

I’ve configured my IPA server to run in NIS compatibility mode by doing
the following.

[root@ipaserver ~]# ipa-nis-manage enable

[root@ipaserver ~]# ipa-compat-manage enable

Restart the DNS and Directory Server service:

[root@server ~]# service restart rpcbind

[root@server ~]# service restart dirsrv

On my NIS clients I have the following setup in the yp.conf file.

domain                 domainname.ca
server                   ipaservername.domainname.ca

I tried just running the broadcast option but with no luck.

When I try to do a service ypbind start on my NIS clients it takes a few
minutes to finally fail.

When I tried an yptest says “Can’t communicate with ypbind” which makes
sense since ypbind will not start.

On the NIS client in the messages file it says the following;

Ypbind: broadcast: RPC: Timed Out

Cannot bind UDP: Address already in use

Nothing has changed on my IPA server/configuration so I have no idea why
this stopped working.

Any suggestions?

Please check if the IPA is running, the DS is running. Check the logs
that the compat plugin is loaded and working.
You can also try looking at the compat tree from the server itself to
verify that the plugin, at least the DS part is functional.

This generally smells as a firewall issue but I have not way to prove or
disprove the theory.

Matt

Thank you,

Dmitri Pal