Hi,

On 3.1.2014 22:13, James Scollard wrote:
Thanks for the reply,

Version:

Package freeipa-server-3.3.3-2.fc19.x86_64 already installed and latest
version...

I'm not sure I understand the answer.

I created the CSR and they signed it using their automation, and
returned the new ones to me for installation, which failed.
SUN.WEATHER.COM is a valid Kerberos domain name, but not a valid O=. The
node itself is xxxxx.sun.weather.com, we have a wildcard certificate for
sun.weather.com, and this domain controller needs the certificate for
the domain for setup to complete.

What am I doing wrong here?

I sense some confusion about ipa-server-install options here. You use a wildcard server certificate as IPA's CA certificate, which is obviously not correct. It seems to me you are trying to do one of the following:

a) Set up IPA using your own server certificate. This is achieved using the --*_pkcs12 options.

You must create a PKCS#12 file with the certificate and its private key in order to do this. Assuming you save the PKCS#12 file to /root/ldapm6x00.sun.weather.com.p12, the command line should look something like:

# ipa-server-install --dirsrv_pkcs12=/root/ldapm6x00.sun.weather.com.p12 --http_pkcs12=/root/ldapm6x00.sun.weather.com.p12 --root-ca-file=/root/sun.weather.com.crt

b) Set up IPA including a IPA-managed CA, with the CA being a subordinate of some external CA. This is where you should use the --external* options.

First run ipa-server-install with --external-ca, which will create a CSR for IPA CA certificate in /root/ipa.csr. Then sign the CSR with the external CA to get the IPA CA certificate. Finally, run ipa-server-install with --external_cert_file pointing to the IPA CA certificate and --external_ca_file pointing to CA certificate of the external CA.