Nalin Dahyabhai wrote:
On Tue, Jan 07, 2014 at 05:22:22AM -0500, Joseph, Matthew (EXP) wrote:
When I run ypcat on the IPA servers it states that ypbind can't communicate.
I started ypbind on the secondary IPA server so now I can run ypcat.
Is running ypbind on the IPA servers necessary? According to all of the
documentation I read it doesn't mention anything about ypbind on the servers.

Any system on which you intend to run ypcat, ypmatch, or any of the NIS
client commands should run ypbind, whether it's talking to a more
traditional NIS server or an IPA server with its NIS service enabled.

I run ypcat w/o ypbind all the time for testing. You just need to specify the server and domain on the command-line:

$ ypcat -h `hostname` -d example.com passwd