On Mon, Feb 10, 2014 at 3:40 PM, Dmitri Pal <d...@redhat.com> wrote:
> On 02/09/2014 09:52 PM, Mauricio Tavares wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, Feb 9, 2014 at 9:07 PM, Steve Dainard<sdain...@miovision.com>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> I've noticed if ntpd is already running on the client when you run the
>>> ipa-client-install, you will get that error. I'm guessing its using
>>> ntpdate
>>> IP ADDRESS to sync time, and cannot do so when the daemon is running.
>>>
>>> I've noticed if ntpd is already running on the client when you run the
>>> ipa-client-install, you will get that error. I'm guessing its using
>>> ntpdate
>>> IP ADDRESS to sync time, and cannot do so when the daemon is running.
>>>
>>        Now that you mentioned that I would agree with you in that it is
>> failing because ntpd is running already; I could not see it because of
>> the option "-s" in
>>
>> [root@centos64 ~]# service ntpd status
>> ntpd (pid  3721) is running...
>> [root@centos64 ~]# /usr/sbin/ntpdate -U ntp -s -b -v auth.in.domain.com
>> [root@centos64 ~]#
>>
>> I could not find what all of those arguments mean in the centos 6.5
>> ntpdate man page, but here is what I found under ubuntu's:
>>
>>         -b     Force  the  time  to  be stepped using the settimeofday()
>> system
>>                call, rather than slewed (default) using  the  adjtime()
>> system
>>                call. This option should be used when called from a startup
>> file
>>                at boot time.
>>
>>         -s     Divert logging output from the standard output (default) to
>> the
>>                system  syslog  facility.  This is designed primarily for
>> conve‐
>>                nience of cron scripts.
>>
>>         -v     Be verbose. This option will cause ntpdate's version
>> identifica‐
>>                tion string to be logged.
>>
>> In other words, -s is sending the output to syslog. And, if we check
>> /var/log/messages we will find that
>>
>> Feb  9 21:17:06 centos64 ntpdate[8275]: the NTP socket is in use, exiting
>>
>> as you expected. Now, how did it detect the ntpdate failed?
>>
>>> Steve

> This sounds like a bug to me but I would wait for European gurus to chime in
> the morning.
> If it is a bug we need a ticket.

      I dunno where to file a ticket but here is my suggestion:

in /usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/ipaclient/ntpconf.py, function def
synconce_ntp(server_fqdn):

replace

        cmd = [ntpdate, "-U", "ntp", "-s", "-b", "-v", server_fqdn]

with

        cmd = [ntpdate, "-U", "ntp", "-s", "-b", "-v", "-u", server_fqdn]

Reasoning:

[root@centos64 ~]# date +%T -s "10:13:13"
10:13:13
[root@centos64 ~]# date