http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2181#section-5

Specifically, this:
"Consequently the use of differing TTLs in an RRSet is hereby deprecated, the
TTLs of all RRs in an RRSet must be the same."

The answer is:

IPA is even more strict, one DNS *name* can have only one TTL for all RRsets.

This limitation is enforced by LDAP structure we use. All DNS records for single DNS name are stored in one LDAP object and DNS TTL is represented as one attribute.

The follow up question is:

But dnsrecord_add/mod has a dnsttl attribute. What happens if I do a dnsrecord_mod {"dnsttl": adifferentvalue}? Does it change the ttl for _all_ records?