Hello,

what is the best practice to authenticate samba file sharing with freeipa as
auth service.
Either version 3 or 4 of samba is fine, as we are looking for this only for
filesharing and not
domain service.
Our ipa service is hosted on CentOS 6.5.
The samba service is preferred to be hosted on Ubuntu Precise (12.04), later
the new LTS.

Found 3 methods, but all seem to have their issues.

    1. LDAP, ldapsam passdb backend. -> needs ldap schema modification to
include fields (sambaSAMAccount, sambaGroupMapping, samabaSID) and have IPA
populate those with dna plugin
    2. IPA, ipasam passdb backend -> did not find a working version from
ipasam.so for ubuntu, mostly i did not find any
    3. KRB, keytab -> seemed a bit messy, also needs ldap schema modification

Sándor Juhász
System Administrator
ChemAxon Ltd .
Building Hx, GraphiSoft Park, Záhony utca 7, Budapest, Hungary, H-1031