Jason Becker wrote:
I am using FreeIPA 3.0.0 on RHEL 6 (ipa-server-3.0.0-37.el6.x86_64).

Where do I change the verbosity of access logging?

This doc:

http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/18/html/FreeIPA_Guide/server-config.html

discusses turning on global debugging but doesn't help me. The same doc
links to:

https://access.redhat.com/site/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Directory_Server/8.2/html/Configuration_and_Command-Line_Tool_Reference/logs-reference.html

which tells me that I need to change the nsslapd-accesslog-level but the
link on that page is a 404.

So what do I need to do to change the level? I would assume that setting
the level to 4 would be indicated if 256 is too verbose but can someone
please confirm?

256 is the default.

I found this documented in a slightly older release at
https://access.redhat.com/site/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Directory_Server/8.0/html/Configuration_and_Command_Reference/Configuration_Command_File_Reference-Core_Server_Configuration_Reference-Core_Server_Configuration_Attributes_Reference.html#Configuration_Command_File_Reference-cnconfig-nsslapd_accesslog_level

I tried looking in the Configuration tab of the admin GUI but I get thrown:

IPA Error 4204

limits exceeded for this query

Not sure what's going on there, might be symptomatic of the high load
the server is under due to iowait perhaps...

Yes. And I guess ironically you can configure the timeout but without being able to display the page this can be hard using our tools, which enforce that timeout. This data lives at cn=ipaConfig,cn=etc,dc=example,dc=com . You can use ldapmodify to change this if the IPA tools keep timing out while trying.