On 22.7.2014 15:33, Shashi M wrote:
I am looking for some help on DNS configuration migraion from AD to FreeIPA.

I am planning implement AD trust in my current freeIPA setup which is
currently having AD-IPA one way sync.

New setup, I would also like to mange the DNS throug IPA. Currently unix
DNS is hosted on Windows AD servers. I will have to import all the existing
DNS records in freeIPA.

Is it possible to configure freeIPA DNS service as secondary (slave) to
existing AD DNS servers?

my planned approach to migrate dns is as below

- Setup new IPA servers with DNS for unix.example.com domain....
- Allow zone transfer from AD to freeIPA to populate freeIPA DNS servers
- Promote freeIPA as primary DNS server and make AD as secondary DNS

FreeIPA cannot be slave of another DNS server (yet :-). You have the option to use normal zone transfer, convert data from zone file to LDIF and import the LDIF directly to LDAP.

See https://fedorahosted.org/bind-dyndb-ldap/wiki/Migration and let us know if you need any assistance.

After that you will see all the data in FreeIPA user interface and all FreeIPA servers will serve the same copy of the data.

Is this achivable with freeIPA currently? If not is it possible to have
bind 9 installed on freeIPA server and still DNS be managed by freeIPA?

FreeIPA uses BIND 9 for it's DNS but all data managed by FreeIPA have to be in LDAP, not in master files. Anyway, the conversion procedure linked above is pretty straightforward.

Have a nice day!

--
Petr^2 Spacek