On 08/08/2014 11:17 AM, brendan kearney wrote:

The cert should have the fqdn, just like the kerberos instance, but the hostname is not required to be fq'd. The lookup of a short name, as well as and more specifically the IP, in dns will result in the fqdn being returned by dns (the short name resolution being affected by domain and search directives in resolv.conf and the origin directive in dns if either of those are absent).

Back to the point, dns lookup for cert matching is not dependent on hostnames. PTR lookups will always return fqdns, so a dependency on fqdns as hostnames is artificial, no?

Most clients will also do the additional step of matching the hostname in the cert against the originally given hostname. For example, with ldapsearch:

ldapsearch -xLLLZZ -h hostname ...

This will fail if the server cert for hostname has "cn=hostname.domain.tld"