Hello Duncan,

I think we are all set. As written below, I revisited the RFE that was filed
previously:

https://fedorahosted.org/freeipa/ticket/2388

And added information from this thread. It is currently planned for FreeIPA 4.2
as our Web UI could indeed benefit from this functionality.

If we missed anything, please feel free to update the ticket.

THanks,
Martin

On 08/18/2014 09:49 AM, Innes, Duncan wrote:
> Bump
> 
> Back to work now - do you want RFE's written up for this stuff, or do
> you have it in hand?
> 
> D
> 
> -----Original Message-----
> From: freeipa-users-boun...@redhat.com
> [mailto:freeipa-users-boun...@redhat.com] On Behalf Of Innes, Duncan
> Sent: 31 July 2014 21:47
> To: d...@redhat.com; Martin Kosek; freeipa-users@redhat.com
> Subject: Re: [Freeipa-users] PatternFly questions
> 
> Hi,
> 
> Sorry for delay - paternity leave took me away from work rather
> abruptly.
> 
> Do you still want RFE's written up for these?
> 
> My brain might have been fried when I thought about this, but is there
> any mileage in creating an elasticsearch (or similar) database of the
> useful fields and using that for searching?  If LDAP searches are the
> limiting factor that is.  Keeping the databases in sync might be an
> issue, but the elasticsearch database would be read-only for users and
> would allow a potentially richer method of searching.
> 
> Back at work on Monday, so should be able to write up some RFE's then if
> they're still needed.
> 
> Cheers
> 
> D 
> 
> -----Original Message-----
> From: freeipa-users-boun...@redhat.com
> [mailto:freeipa-users-boun...@redhat.com] On Behalf Of Dmitri Pal
> Sent: 18 July 2014 16:09
> To: Martin Kosek; freeipa-users@redhat.com
> Subject: Re: [Freeipa-users] PatternFly questions
> 
> On 07/18/2014 09:23 AM, Martin Kosek wrote:
>> On 07/18/2014 03:12 PM, Dmitri Pal wrote:
>>> On 07/18/2014 08:17 AM, Innes, Duncan wrote:
>>>>    Hi Petr,
>>>>
>>>> On 18/07/2014 11:24, Petr Vobornik wrote:
>>>>> Hello Duncan,
>>>>>
>>>>> thank you for the input. If you or somebody else have any Web UI
>>>> ideas/RFEs, feel free to write them down. I would like to
>>>>> know what people don't like or would like to have.
>>>>>
>>>>> On 18.7.2014 10:21, Innes, Duncan wrote:
>>>>>> Just poking around the new 4.0 demo page and very much liking what
> 
>>>>>> I
>>>> see.  This will make a
>>>>>> big difference in use on large estates.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> A couple PatternFly related questions though:
>>>>>>
>>>>>> 1. The tables don't sort by column if I click on a column header.
>>>> Is this not available in PatternFly yet,
>>>>>>    or have FreeIPA decided against implementing it?
>>>>> First just a note about PatternFly. It's not really a widget 
>>>>> library,
>>>> it is(or should be) more of a set of patterns and
>>>>> styles. But the referential implementation is built on Bootstrap 3,
> 
>>>>> so
>>>> it is very easy to adopt. PatternFly doesn't have an
>>>>> official pattern for table sorting yet, but it has styles for
>>>> DataTables (jQuery table plugin) which can do it.
>>>>> I don't remember any decision against it -> could be implemented if
>>>> there is enough will and user demand.
>>>>> Sorting can be done on client side and on server side. Client side 
>>>>> is
>>>> limited to issue #2 - only 20 items, so it is not really
>>>>> helpful.
>>>>>
>>>>> And server side (IPA API) doesn't support specifying a sort 
>>>>> attribute
>>>> atm.
>>>>> You would like the server-side sorting, right?
>>>>>
>>>> Hadn't considered there to be an option.  When I looked at the 
>>>> PatternFly demos I hadn't thought about it, but the speed that 
>>>> FreeIPA pulls data out for rendering, I suppose it would have to be.
>>>> Even our modest estate (at a few hundred users and hosts) would slow
> 
>>>> down far too much if the full dataset was sent.
>>>>
>>>> The other possibilities thrown up by PatternFly are also 
>>>> interesting; add/remove columns, resize columns etc.  I know some of
> 
>>>> these are still on the drawing board, but there are demo pages 
>>>> available already.
>>>>
>>>>>> 2. Browsing the screen on a large monitor still leaves the user 
>>>>>> page
>>>> (at least) limited to around 22 rows.
>>>>>>     This leaves the bottom third of my browser empty.  The table 
>>>>>> uses
>>>> the full width of the browser, can it
>>>>>>     not use the full height too?
>>>>> I have and idea/plan to make it configurable - to specify the 
>>>>> number
>>>> of items and also to allow disabling of paging.
>>>>> The more rows the slower the UI is. Also paging has its own issues
>>>> which are not straightforward to solve:
>>>>> -
>>>> http://www.redhat.com/archives/freeipa-devel/2012-August/msg00295.ht
>>>> ml True. What's the biggest time factor in loading large tables?
>>>>
>>>> When admining estates with tens of thousands of entries, however, 
>>>> much emphasis needs to be placed on the table filters. No admin in 
>>>> their right mind is going to be performing actions on all entries 
>>>> simultaneously.  Similar to Foreman's filters, could FreeIPA allow
>>>> (example) in the hosts screen a filter of "hostgroup = groupX" to 
>>>> show only hosts belonging to that group?  Or filtering users with 
>>>> "manager = 'Duncan Innes'"?
>>> Please open RFEs. This is really a valuable feedback.
>> I think we are somewhat talking about this RFE:
>>
>> https://fedorahosted.org/freeipa/ticket/2388
>>
>> Maybe it is time to resurrect it from Ticket Deferred milestone given 
>> it would bring big value for large user deployments.
>>
>> The API and the mighty LDAP search engine is already there:
>>
>> ipa user-add --first=Test --last=User manager ipa user-add 
>> --first=Test --last=User employee --manager manager ipa user-add 
>> --first=Test --last=User employee2 --manager manager ipa group-add 
>> testgroup --desc test ipa group-add-member testgroup --users employee2
>>
>>
>> # ipa user-find --manager manager --pkey-only
>> ---------------
>> 2 users matched
>> ---------------
>>    User login: employee
>>
>>    User login: employee2
>> ----------------------------
>> Number of entries returned 2
>> ----------------------------
>>
>> # ipa user-find --manager manager --in-group testgroup --pkey-only
>> --------------
>> 1 user matched
>> --------------
>>    User login: employee2
>> ----------------------------
>> Number of entries returned 1
>>
>>
>> So we would just need to utilize it in our Web UI. I personally really
> 
>> like the simple search tags like below
>>
>>    <manager: manager X>  <in groups: testgroup X>
>>
>> that can be seen in some web apps or eshops and which are pretty easy
> to control.
>>
>> Martin
> Moved to needs triage.
> It will be a nice UI feature for 4.2.
> Taking a note.
> 
> --
> Thank you,
> Dmitri Pal
> 
> Sr. Engineering Manager IdM portfolio
> Red Hat, Inc.
> 
> --
> Manage your subscription for the Freeipa-users mailing list:
> https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/freeipa-users
> Go To http://freeipa.org for more info on the project
> 
> This message has been checked for viruses and spam by the Virgin Money
> email scanning system powered by Messagelabs.
> 
> This message has been checked for viruses and spam by the Virgin Money
> email scanning system powered by Messagelabs.
> 
> This e-mail is intended to be confidential to the recipient. If you
> receive a copy in error, please inform the sender and then delete this
> message.
> 
> Virgin Money plc - Registered in England and Wales (Company no.
> 6952311). Registered office - Jubilee House, Gosforth, Newcastle upon
> Tyne NE3 4PL. Virgin Money plc is authorised by the Prudential
> Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority
> and the Prudential Regulation Authority.
> 
> The following companies also trade as Virgin Money. They are both
> authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority, are
> registered in England and Wales and have their registered office at
> Jubilee House, Gosforth, Newcastle upon Tyne NE3 4PL: Virgin Money
> Personal Financial Service Limited (Company no. 3072766) and Virgin
> Money Unit Trust Managers Limited (Company no. 3000482).
> 
> For further details of Virgin Money group companies please visit our
> website at virginmoney.com
> 
> --
> Manage your subscription for the Freeipa-users mailing list:
> https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/freeipa-users
> Go To http://freeipa.org for more info on the project
> 
> This message has been checked for viruses and spam by the Virgin Money
> email scanning system powered by Messagelabs.
> 
> This message has been checked for viruses and spam by the Virgin Money email 
> scanning system powered by Messagelabs.
> 
> This e-mail is intended to be confidential to the recipient. If you receive a 
> copy in error, please inform the sender and then delete this message.
> 
> Virgin Money plc - Registered in England and Wales (Company no. 6952311). 
> Registered office - Jubilee House, Gosforth, Newcastle upon Tyne NE3 4PL. 
> Virgin Money plc is authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and 
> regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation 
> Authority.
> 
> The following companies also trade as Virgin Money. They are both authorised 
> and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority, are registered in England 
> and Wales and have their registered office at Jubilee House, Gosforth, 
> Newcastle upon Tyne NE3 4PL: Virgin Money Personal Financial Service Limited 
> (Company no. 3072766) and Virgin Money Unit Trust Managers Limited (Company 
> no. 3000482).
> 
> For further details of Virgin Money group companies please visit our website 
> at virginmoney.com
> 

-- 
Manage your subscription for the Freeipa-users mailing list:
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/freeipa-users
Go To http://freeipa.org for more info on the project

Reply via email to