On 10/01/2014 05:44 AM, Yiorgos Stamoulis wrote:

On 01/10/14 08:19, Les Stott wrote:

Hi,

I am using freeipa in a rhel6 environment with ipa-3.0.0-37.el6 client.

I am working on doing an unattended ipa client installation. I have it working with the following....

/usr/sbin/ipa-client-install -p admin -w <admin_password> -U --no-ntp

While this works, while it runs, the <admin_password> value is visable in the output of a ps --ef command on the host when installing the ipa client.

# ps -ef |grep ipa

root 30284 30283 43 03:31 ? 00:00:01 /usr/bin/python -E /usr/sbin/ipa-client-install -p admin -w <plain_text_password> -U --no-ntp

This represents a challenge to security, even though its only minor (as in its only there for a minute or so), but its still there and it is the admin password.

Can ipa-client-install be updated to include a parameter to retrieve the admin password from a file? i.e.

/usr/bin/python -E /usr/sbin/ipa-client-install -p admin --from-file /tmp/credentials -U --no-ntp

That would then protect the admin password.

I am not familiar with python coding.

Thanks in advance,

Les

Hi Les,

in addition to the answers you have already received, you can create a user with the 'host enrollment' permission only, so even if the credentials are compromised the damage is minimized.

I am using this on 4.0.3 but looking at an older installation the same seems available in 3.0 too.

Best Regards

Yiorgos

Or you can use OTPs. The OTPs were actually invented for exactly this use case. You register host and generate OTP at that time. Then you pass it to your enrollment script and it is used once.

--
Thank you,
Dmitri Pal

Sr. Engineering Manager IdM portfolio