On 10/3/2014 2:30 AM, Alexander Bokovoy wrote:
This issue is known -- when CA install fails, we rollback but since CA
isn't installed, we miss rolling it back. There is a ticket for
eventually fixing this issue.

Which ticket is this? The rollback was actually disabled to allow
troubleshooting the failed installation:

I think this ticket is unrelated -- its solution only affects
ipa-client-install --on-master, not what ipa-server-install does when it
rolls back configuration for dirsrv and other servers.

I think the idea can be expanded to the entire server installation.

I can't find the exact ticket though.

Following sequence should clean up all the bits:

pkidestroy -s CA -i pki-tomcat
rm -rf /var/log/pki/pki-tomcat
rm -rf /etc/sysconfig/pki-tomcat
rm -rf /etc/sysconfig/pki/tomcat/pki-tomcat
rm -rf /var/lib/pki/pki-tomcat
rm -rf /etc/pki/pki-tomcat

It's not official, but we call this step pki-nuke.

It also helps to reboot between multiple reinstalls on a single machine.

Rather than rolling back the installation automatically (and delete
all files needed to troubleshoot the problem), it would be better to
provide an option to the uninstall command to forcibly remove all
installed files regardless whether the installation was successful or
not, just like the pki-nuke above.

We simply have no information about the fact what pkicreate did before
it failed.

It shouldn't matter. The forced removal should clean up anything that might have been created during the installation. That way the next installation should be able to run without any possibility of conflicts with residual files.

I created this Dogtag ticket:
https://fedorahosted.org/pki/ticket/1172

When that's implemented, the IPA uninstall script can do this:

  try:
      # forcibly remove Dogtag instance
      pkidestroy -i pki-tomcat
  except Exception:
      # ignore error
      pass

  try:
      # forcibly remove DS instance
      remove-ds.pl -f -i slapd-pki-tomcat
  except Exception:
      # ignore error
      pass

  ... and so on ...

If we use an automatic rollback, in addition to the lost debugging info, sometimes the rollback itself can be buggy so the machine is left in an inconsistent/unusable state. With a separate forced removal like above, we can debug the failed installation, and also debug the failed removal if necessary.

--
Endi S. Dewata