On 6.10.2014 15:17, Licause, Al (CSC AMS BCS - UNIX/Linux Network Support)
wrote:
Thanks very much for the additional input.  The configuration as you describe
it is correct with a minor detail
correction that I didn't notice earlier.    16.112.240.27 is the master for the
osn.cxo.cpqcorp.net zone while
16.112.240.40 is a slave for that zone.    But as you have said, both are
authoritative for that zone.

I won't belabor the point and will move on to try a different configuration as
my ultimate goal here is to create
trust domains between a linux and an AD domain.     To that end I will
reconfigure the current IdM server such that
it is in a different subnet and domain.

I just find it odd that when ipa is shutdown and named is restarted on the
system designated as the IdM
server, that dns works and the forwarders are not ignored as they are when ipa
is running.

The reason is that authoritative data are stored in LDAP but global forwarding configuration (specified on ipa-server-install command line) is stored in /etc/named.conf.

LDAP server is not reachable when IPA is down so BIND cannot see zones in LDAP and "global" forwarding in named.conf causes that it accidentally works for you.

Forwarding is evil :-)

--
Petr^2 Spacek

  • Re: [Freeipa-users]... Petr Spacek
    • [Freeipa-users... Licause, Al (CSC AMS BCS - UNIX/Linux Network Support)
      • Re: [Freei... Dmitri Pal
        • [Freei... Licause, Al (CSC AMS BCS - UNIX/Linux Network Support)
        • [Freei... Licause, Al (CSC AMS BCS - UNIX/Linux Network Support)
          • Re... Dmitri Pal
            • ... Licause, Al (CSC AMS BCS - UNIX/Linux Network Support)
      • Re: [Freei... Petr Spacek
        • [Freei... Licause, Al (CSC AMS BCS - UNIX/Linux Network Support)
          • Re... Petr Spacek
            • ... Licause, Al (CSC AMS BCS - UNIX/Linux Network Support)
              • ... Petr Spacek
              • ... Licause, Al (CSC AMS BCS - UNIX/Linux Network Support)
              • ... Jan Pazdziora
              • ... Petr Spacek
              • ... Jan Pazdziora