I suspected that problems could arise with DNS, and here they are...

In fact, this entire string: "ipa_server = _srv_ #our FreeIPA server has DNS SRV entries" was taken as-is from the how-to on FreeBSD forums. First I commented it out, because was unsure sure if it was appropriate for my simple setup with just 2 VMs and and a bunch of records in /etc/hosts file. After starting sssd, I could get no IPA data with"getent passwd" or "getent group" commands. They I uncommented it and restarted sssd, but things remained the same.

Now your advice is: "...add IP address or hostname to the option ipa_server", but you use an arbitrary name like "vm-120.eurosel.az". Could you please explain which host`s FQDN I should put there? If I use "ipa1.eurosel.az", then sssd won`t start (complains about "...Looping detected inside krb5_get_in_tkt...").

If it MUST be a DNS server, then everything changes. And the question then becomes: is it possible to set up a test FreeIPA client-server interaction using only 2 VMs and proper records in /etc/hosts instead of a DNS server? Or one MUST add a third VM and make it a DNS server to facilitate client-server interaction?