On Tue, Nov 11, 2014 at 01:40:50AM +0000, Les Stott wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a standard rhel6 deployment for FreeIPA in two environments.
>
> One environment is in our Production Data Center, The Other in our DR Data
> Center.
>
> Both environments are setup with the same domain (mydomain.com) for FreeIPA.
> This is to support dr/failover etc.
>
> In each environment, there is a master. In Prod its serverA.mydomain.com, In
> DR its serverB.mydomain.com.
>
> The master in each environment gets a generated certificate by IPA. This
> certificate shows a Serial Number of "0A"
>
> My problem is that because the certificates have the same Organization, OU
> and Serial Number, I can only browse to one of them (using Firefox).
>
> If I browse to https://serverA.mydomain.com/ipa/ui/ and accept the
> certificate it works fine.
> If I then try to browse to https://serverB.mydomain.com/ipa/ui/ it comes up
> with the following error:
>
> "Your certificate contains the same serial number as another certificate
> issued by the certificate authority. Please get a new certificate containing
> a unique serial number. (Error code: sec_error_reused_issuer_and_serial)"
>
> If I remove the stored browser certificate for serverA, then browse to
> serverB, and accept the certificate, it works, but then the "same serial
> number" error pops up for browsing serverA.
>
> Note: both environments were built separately and are not linked in anyway
> (no replication between prod/dr).
>
> Is there a way to generate unique serial numbers for the masters?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Les

Hi Les,

Ideally, you should prevent this situation by using different
common names (CN) for your CAs and server certifications across the
different environments.  If this is not possible, you can configure
the Dogtag CA to use random serial numbers:

http://dogtagpki.org/wiki/Random_Certificate_Serial_Numbers#How_to_Use_Random_Certificate_Serial_Numbers

This does not guarantee that you will not get serial number
collisions, but reduces the likelihood.

Regards,

Fraser