On 10.11.2014 09:25, Martin Kosek wrote:
> On 11/08/2014 12:16 AM, Andrew Powell wrote:
>> Is there a way to add a Bind $GENERATE directive line to FreeIPA to
>> automatically name DHCP-assigned ranges?
>>
>> In a file-based Bind installation, I can have the following line in the
>> forward
>> example.com zone file:
>>
>> $generate 80-250/1 wd${0,3,d}.example.com. A 192.168.0.$
>>
>> (which adds records wd080.example.com thru wd250.example.com)
>>
>> And for the reverse zone (0.168.192.in-addr.arpa) I can have the following
>> line:
>>
>> $generate 80-250/1 $ PTR wd${0,3,d}.example.com.
>>
>> I can do without naming the DHCP-assigned ranges, but it seems like the
>> proper
>> thing to do.
>>

> Interesting question. I do not think bind-dyndb-ldap supports the $GENERATE
> directive. I am not even sure how to extend LDAP DNS tree to support it as it
> has a very specific syntax. You would need to add a new LDAP space accepting
> strings that would be then passed to BIND... I will let Petr to assess if this
> is possible or not.
We would have to re-implement the $GENERATE logic ourselves (and find a way
how to store it in LDAP).

It would complicate dynamic updates a lot so I would rather avoid implementing
this in bind-dyndb-ldap.

> For now, the best approach would be to either add all these records to LDAP or
> to have it in a BIND zone file and synchronize between all FreeIPA DNS
> servers.

I would recommend to simply use ipa dnsrecord-add command in a for cycle to
add all the records.

ipa dnsrecord-generate command could generate set of LDAP objects too and it
would not require any changes in bind-dyndb-ldap... But I'm not sure if there
is a real benefit. IMHO it would be better to implement
Seed managed DNS domain from existing domain

--
Petr^2 Spacek