Dmitri:

Thanks for the reply.

> Do you need to repair the trust for every single user or just once?
Yes, I have to repair the trust for every new user added to Active
Directory who needs access to an IdM resource. Only once per user though.

> What it is your AD domain topology?
My AD topology is very simple at the moment because it is a test
environment. I currently have one domain controller with a domain of
venus.com. My IdM topology is very similar--one IdM server with a domain of
mercury.com.

> Are you establishing trust with the primary domain controller?
Yes.

> What version of IPA and AD are you using?
I'm using IPA v 3.0. I'm not sure of the current version of AD, but I'm
using it on Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1.

Message: 1
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2014 14:42:51 -0500
From: Dmitri Pal <d...@redhat.com>
To: freeipa-users@redhat.com
Subject: Re: [Freeipa-users] Unable to Login until Trust is Repaired

On 11/12/2014 08:44 AM, Jonathan Bradford wrote:
> This is my first post on the IPA mailing list. Hey guys :)
> I've successfully walked through the IdM Red Hat document on
> "Integrating with Active Directory Through Cross-Realm Kerberos
> Trusts" using separate DNS domains. I've reached the part where you
> test the trust using SSH via PuTTY, and I have noticed a problem.
> If I add a user in Active Directory (group mapping is on), the user
> cannot immediately SSH to an IPA host. In fact, it never allows me to
> login until I first login to a Windows machine with the account and
> then repair the trust via AD.
> To repair the trust, I have to go to AD Domains and Trusts >
> Properties > Trusts> and Validate the incoming and outgoing
> connections. When I do this, it gives me an error message about the
> RPC server not running, but if I proceed, it eventually tells me that
> the connection has been repaired. Only after doing this can I
> successfully SSH with a new user.
> Do you have any idea why this might be happening? I have followed Red
> Hat's documentation exactly, so I am not sure why I am having issues.
> If you have any thoughts or ideas, I would greatly appreciate them.
> Thanks!
> -Jonathan

HI Jonathan,

I would leave to Alexander to drill down into the details when he is
back online tomorrow however if the trust is not validated then it is
not fully established the first time. Something when wrong and it would
be nice to look at the logs on the IPA and AD side to be able to
determine the cause.
Do you need to repair the trust for every single user or just once?

What it is your AD domain topology? Are you establishing trust with the
primary domain controller?
What version of IPA and AD are you using?

Thanks
Dmitri

--
Thank you,