On 12/07/2014 06:44 PM, Matthew Herzog wrote:
Thanks guys. I'm sorry for my delay in responding.

Firstly, I was under the impression (from reading the docs) that having named running on IPA server was critical.

Properly configured DNS is critical.
How you accomplish it is up to you.
IPA allows you to have a DNS server that would simplify DNS management but it can be done manually too. This is why DNS is optional.

Also, the first question the ipa-server-install script asks is, "Do you want to configure integrated DNS (BIND)? ." While it's true the default answer is no, it leads one to believe that DNS is central to IPA. Also the ipa-client-install script says,

[root@freeipa-poc-client02 ~]# ipa-client-install
DNS discovery failed to determine your DNS domain
Provide the domain name of your IPA server (ex: example.com <http://example.com>):

I can resolve -anything- from the machine using dig or whatever.

Ultimately, the reason I started to be concerned about my IPA server's DNS config was because I was not able to authenticate AD accounts to a client machine. I saw a bunch of errors in the client's sssd logs which of course I can't find now.

Perhaps it was these . . .

(Thu Dec 4 13:45:23 2014) [sssd] [ping_check] (0x0100): Service nss replied to ping (Thu Dec 4 13:45:23 2014) [sssd] [ping_check] (0x0100): Service sudo replied to ping (Thu Dec 4 13:45:23 2014) [sssd] [ping_check] (0x0100): Service pam replied to ping (Thu Dec 4 13:45:23 2014) [sssd] [ping_check] (0x0100): Service ssh replied to ping (Thu Dec 4 13:45:23 2014) [sssd] [ping_check] (0x0100): Service pac replied to ping (Thu Dec 4 13:45:23 2014) [sssd] [ping_check] (0x0100): Service bo3.e-bozo.com <http://bo3.e-bozo.com> replied to ping

I'm not allowed onto the AD domain controllers to examine log files or I'd be checking those first.

So ultimately the goal is to authenticate AD users and users that exist in our ldap schema. We need to set up groups of users that can run sudo commands on specific groups of hosts.

Did you setup trusts as explained on the following page?
http://www.freeipa.org/page/Howto/IPAv3_AD_trust_setup

On Wed, Dec 3, 2014 at 3:46 AM, Petr Spacek <pspa...@redhat.com <mailto:pspa...@redhat.com>> wrote:

    On 3.12.2014 04:35, Dmitri Pal wrote:
    > On 12/02/2014 08:54 PM, Matthew Herzog wrote:
    >> Any other ideas? I just spun up a new VM and took the defaults
    on everything
    >> while running ipa-server-install (the defaults did make sense)
    and my new VM
    >> can't resolve -anything- in the domain in which it lives. The
    "old" VM
    >> (running the same versions of everything on the same OS) can't
    even resolve
    >> the clients I have registered with it!
    >>
    >> So I'm pretty frustrated and am wondering, what _exactly_ is
    the role of
    >> bind in the IPA server and how is it expected to know anything
    about the
    >> local DNS domain without becoming a bind slave server?
    >
    > I am not sure I am 100% with you but...
    > If you use the defaults and nothing else you get to the scenario
    when IPA has
    > its DNS but it is a self contained environment. It seems that
    this is what you
    > observe.
    > It is expected that you decide in advance what you want to do
    with DNS. There
    > are several options:
    > 1) You can delegate a zone to IPA to manage, then you need to
    connect your IPA
    > DNS to your existing DNS during install or after.
    > In this case the systems joined to IPA will be a part of IPA
    domain/zone and
    > would also be able to resolve other systems around
    > 2) Not use IPA DNS if you do not want to take advantage of it
    > 3) Have a self contained demo/lab environment that you currently
    observe.

    > What is the intent?

    I agree with Dmitri, we need more information from you:
    - You said "my new VM can't resolve -anything- in the domain in
    which it
    lives." - Which domain do you mean?

    - Apparently you have configured FreeIPA to serve zone e-bozo.com
    <http://e-bozo.com>. Do you have
    this zone configured on some other DNS server at the same time?

    Please keep in mind that authoritative servers should share the
    database. You
    will get naming collisions if e-bozo.com <http://e-bozo.com> is
    served by FreeIPA DNS servers and
    some other servers at the same time. Maybe that is the problem you
    see right now.

    As Dmitri said, the architecturally correct solution is to decide
    if you want
    to use FreeIPA DNS or not. You have option to either remove
    non-FreeIPA DNS
    servers and import data to FreeIPA or to add FreeIPA-specific DNS
    records to
    existing DNS servers and do not configure FreeIPA to act as DNS
    server.

    Petr^2 Spacek

    <http://named.ca> <http://named.ca>";
    <http://freeipa-poc01.bo3.e-bozo.com>
    >>     <http://freeipa-poc01.bo3.e-bozo.com>
    >>     >> <http://freeipa-poc01.bo3.e-bozo.com>.";
    >>     >>         arg "auth_method sasl";
    >>     >>         arg "sasl_mech GSSAPI";
    >>     >>         arg "sasl_user DNS/freeipa-poc01.bo3.e-bozo.com
    <http://freeipa-poc01.bo3.e-bozo.com>
    >>     <http://freeipa-poc01.bo3.e-bozo.com>
    >>     >> <http://freeipa-poc01.bo3.e-bozo.com>";
    >>     >>         arg "serial_autoincrement yes";
    >>     >> };
    >>     >>
    >>     >>
    >>     >>
    >>     >>
    >>     > Hello,
    >>     >
    >>     > which version ipa do you use? which platform? Which version
    >>     bind-dyndb-ldap?
    >>     >
    >>     > Can you run these commands, and check if there any errors?
    >>     > ipactl status
    >>     > systemctl status named  (respectively journalctl -u named)
    >>
    >>     We also may want to see information listed on page
    >> https://fedorahosted.org/bind-dyndb-ldap/wiki/BugReporting

If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

--
Thank you,
Dmitri Pal

Sr. Engineering Manager IdM portfolio