On 12/08/2014 11:44 AM, Gianluca Cecchi wrote:
Hello,
I finally was able to configure the integration between what in subject.
I have made basic tests and all seems ok.

If anyone wants to test further integration scenarios and also test with vSPhere 5.5, he/she then can report here and I will crosscheck eventually.

My environment is based on pure vSphere 5.1 that I'm right now using in trial mode with vcenter server defined as a virtual appliance.

NOTE that there is a bug in this version of vSphere regarding OpenLDAP integration in vShere WebClient, so that you are unable to change Base DN for groups after its initial configuration. In case you need to modify that field, you have to delete and recreate the whole LDAP definition.
The bug is solved in vsphere 5.1 update 1a.

As suggested in other threads on this and other lists, I used slapi-nis (schema compat) plugin. Initially I tested it on CentOS 6.6 with IPA 3.0.0-42 and slapi-nis-0.40-4. I was able to get both users and groups enumeration in vSphere client (using cn=accounts for bind definition), but then no authentication of defined users due to inability of IPA 3.0 to do bind on compat tree.

I read on this list that I had to use IPA 3.3 and slapi-nis >= 0.47.5, how is indeed provided now in CentOS 7 with:

ipa-server-3.3.3-28.0.1.el7.centos.3.x86_64
slapi-nis-0.52-4.el7.x86_64

So I migrated my IPA test server from CentOS 6.6 to another server in CentOS 7.0, following the chapter 6 of the detailed guide here (only some typos and use of "systemctl" commands for version 6 that should be read as "service" commands instead):
https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/7/html/Linux_Domain_Identity_Authentication_and_Policy_Guide/upgrading.html

After update these were my two ldif files to adapt schema compat entries for vSphere

1) vsphere_usermod.ldif

dn: cn=users,cn=Schema Compatibility,cn=plugins,cn=config
changetype: modify
add: schema-compat-entry-attribute
schema-compat-entry-attribute: objectclass=uniqueMember
-
add: schema-compat-entry-attribute
schema-compat-entry-attribute: objectclass=inetOrgPerson
-

2) vsphere_groupmod.ldif

dn: cn=groups,cn=Schema Compatibility,cn=plugins,cn=config
changetype: modify
add: schema-compat-entry-attribute
schema-compat-entry-attribute: objectclass=groupOfUniqueNames
-
add: schema-compat-entry-attribute
schema-compat-entry-attribute: uniqueMember=%regsub("%{member}","^(.*)accounts(.*)","%1compat%2")
-

Applied with the command:
ldapmodify -x -D "cn=Directory Manager" -f /root/vsphere_usermod.ldif -W vsphere_usermod.ldif

and
ldapmodify -x -D "cn=Directory Manager" -f /root/vsphere_usermod.ldif -W vsphere_groupmod.ldif

Configuration in vSphere Web Client under Identity Sources of
Administration --> Sign-On and Discovery --> Configuration
was this one

Primary server URL: ldaps://c7server.localdomain.local:636
Base DN for users: cn=users,cn=compat,dc=localdomain,dc=local
Domain name: localdomain.local
Base DN for groups: cn=groups,cn=compat,dc=localdomain,dc=local
Authentication type: Password
Username: uid=vadmin,cn=users,cn=compat,dc=localdomain,dc=local

NOTE: vadmin is a normal IPA user I created only for bind with no ESX permissions (it is only part of the default ipausers IPA group)

NOTE: I used ldaps and as certificate I had to use the file /etc/ipa/ca.crt on IPA server, after copying to client where running the browser and renaming it to ca.cer without any modification at all. vSphere accepted it without any problem.

My tests at the moment have been ok both in vSphere fat client (5.1 1471691) and vSphere Web Client (Version 5.1.0 Build 869765). I tried this:

- add gcecchi IPA user at top vcenter server permissions level as a virtual machine user (sample) default role
- verify gcecchi is able to connect both in fat and web clients
- edit settings of the vm VC1 and verify that the "add..." button in hardware tab is greyed out - add the defined esxpower IPA group at VC1 permissions level granting it the virtual machine power user (sample) role
- logout/login gcecchi and verify nothing changed in his permissions
- add gcecchi to the IPA group esxpower
- logout/login gcecchi and verify the user now can select the "add..." button in hardware tab of VC1
- logout gcecchi and remove gcecchi from IPA group esxpower
- login as gcecchi in vSphere and verify that now the "add..." button is disabled again
- create an IPA group named esxnestedpower and insert it in esxpower group
- login as gcecchi in vSphere and verify he is still unable to add devices
- modify IPA user gcecchi adding him to esxnestedpower group
- logout/login gcecchi from vSphere and verify that now gcecchi is able to add device to VC1

NOTE: as my tests began in CentOS 6.6, I noticed that the IPA groups created in IPA 3.0 and CentOS 6.6 didn't get the uniqueMember property for their group members... I didn't investigate more, but I noticed that for the system group "admins" and for newly created groups, instead it was ok... NOTE: after my migration from IPA 3.0 to 3.3 it seems I lost dna settings, so that group addition failed without explicitly specifying its GID. I solved as described here adding the missingdnaNextRange: 1639600001-1639799999:
https://www.redhat.com/archives/freeipa-users/2014-December/msg00090.html

Screenshot with permissions of VC1
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwoPbcrMv8mvdUgwanQzNWpBbkE/view?usp=sharing

Some outputs of ldapsearch queries:
[root@c7server slapd-LOCALDOMAIN-LOCAL]# ldapsearch -x -b "cn=groups,cn=compat,dc=localdomain,dc=local" cn=esxpower
# extended LDIF
#
# LDAPv3
# base <cn=groups,cn=compat,dc=localdomain,dc=local> with scope subtree
# filter: cn=esxpower
# requesting: ALL
#

# esxpower, groups, compat, localdomain.local
dn: cn=esxpower,cn=groups,cn=compat,dc=localdomain,dc=local
objectClass: posixGroup
objectClass: groupOfUniqueNames
objectClass: top
gidNumber: 1639600010
memberUid: gcecchi
uniqueMember: cn=esxnestedpower,cn=groups,cn=compat,dc=localdomain,dc=local
cn: esxpower

# search result
search: 2
result: 0 Success

# numResponses: 2
# numEntries: 1

[root@c7server slapd-LOCALDOMAIN-LOCAL]# ldapsearch -x -b "cn=groups,cn=compat,dc=localdomain,dc=local" cn=esxnestedpower
# extended LDIF
#
# LDAPv3
# base <cn=groups,cn=compat,dc=localdomain,dc=local> with scope subtree
# filter: cn=esxnestedpower
# requesting: ALL
#

# esxnestedpower, groups, compat, localdomain.local
dn: cn=esxnestedpower,cn=groups,cn=compat,dc=localdomain,dc=local
objectClass: posixGroup
objectClass: groupOfUniqueNames
objectClass: top
gidNumber: 1639600012
memberUid: gcecchi
uniqueMember: uid=gcecchi,cn=users,cn=compat,dc=localdomain,dc=local
cn: esxnestedpower

# search result
search: 2
result: 0 Success

# numResponses: 2
# numEntries: 1
[root@c7server slapd-LOCALDOMAIN-LOCAL]# ldapsearch -x -b "cn=users,cn=compat,dc=localdomain,dc=local" uid=gcecchi
# extended LDIF
#
# LDAPv3
# base <cn=users,cn=compat,dc=localdomain,dc=local> with scope subtree
# filter: uid=gcecchi
# requesting: ALL
#

# gcecchi, users, compat, localdomain.local
dn: uid=gcecchi,cn=users,cn=compat,dc=localdomain,dc=local
objectClass: posixAccount
objectClass: uniqueMember
objectClass: inetOrgPerson
objectClass: extensibleObject
objectClass: top
objectClass: organizationalPerson
objectClass: person
gecos: Gianluca Cecchi
cn: Gianluca Cecchi
uidNumber: 1639600001
gidNumber: 1639600001
loginShell: /bin/sh
homeDirectory: /home/gcecchi
uid: gcecchi

# search result
search: 2
result: 0 Success

# numResponses: 2
# numEntries: 1

Hope that this can help others trying to accomplish vSphere/IPA integration and feel free to comment as I'm far from an IPA expert and my main approach is RTFM and ask help... ;-)

Gianluca Cecchi

Thank you for a detailed summary!
Would you mind turning it into a wiki page?
http://www.freeipa.org/page/HowTos

--
Thank you,
Dmitri Pal