On 12/24/2014 01:04 AM, Traiano Welcome wrote:
Hi List

I have a large number of legacy hosts with upper-case host names, that
I'd like to configure as IPA clients. However ipa client refuses to
accept upper case hostnames during configuration time.

I think this derives from the fact that the kerberos5 database stores
host names in a case sensitive way and requires that the DNS hostname
matches the server hostname case.

My question is: Is it mandatory that the hostname be lower-cased, or
is there a safe workaround that will allow IPA client to work with
hosts that have upper case host names ?

Thanks in advance!
Traiano

See man sssd-ipa

       ipa_hostname (string)
Optional. May be set on machines where the hostname(5) does not reflect the fully qualified name used in the IPA domain to identify this
           host.

AFAIR you use this setting for the cases when you want the actual machine name be different than the one IPA has.

--
Thank you,
Dmitri Pal

Sr. Engineering Manager IdM portfolio