Indeed you are correct - it was NOT the problem. Double checking the logs - showed an old ca.crt file from a previous install (something that should be done in the "uninstall" jobs - remove ALL the old folders, including /etc/ipa which has old certs, etc.)

Thanks for the tip to look elsewhere - I made a bad assumption.
Janelle