On 02/12/2015 08:38 AM, Michael Lasevich wrote:

Thank you, this is very helpful. I forgot about 'super admin', which is why I was not even seeing the values before. :-)

How are the the values encrypted (or hashed?)

It sounds like the password is stored in two fields(I am leaving samba out for now) - userpassword andkerberos principle key. Is userpassword a hash? Of so, what kind?

Salted SHA 140 by default. You can crank this all the way up to Salted SHA 512.

KerberosPrincipleKey you mention is encrypted with Kerberos master key - is the plaintext of password encrypted or is it a hash that is encrypted? What encryption and or hashing used for that?

Thank you,

-M

On Feb 12, 2015 5:04 AM, "Simo Sorce" <s...@redhat.com <mailto:s...@redhat.com>> wrote:

    On Thu, 2015-02-12 at 02:20 -0500, Dmitri Pal wrote:
    > On 02/12/2015 01:25 AM, Michael Lasevich wrote:
    > > Ok, after a  few awkward questions from an auditor, I am
    starting to
    > > face the uncomfortable truth that my understanding about how
    FreeIPA
    > > works is a lot fuzzier than I would like.
    > >
    > > Specifically, the question I could not answer - where are the
    > > passwords stored and how are they encrypted? My understanding
    is that
    > > all authentication is handled by Kerberos server, which stores its
    > > data in LDAP - but where and how is a bit of a mystery to me.
    Any way
    > > to dump out the password hashes?
    >
    > Passwords are stored in LDAP in two different attributes per
    entry. One
    > with LDAP password hash and another is Kerberos password hash
    allowing
    > authentication either with Kerebros or LDAP. Both follow best
    practices
    > in terms of using hash algorithms. The attributes themselves are
    > protected by the access control instructions (ACI) so only a super
    > priviledged admin or user himself can interact with this attribute.
    > During normal operations it is not fetched and read. The core of
    the DS
    > processes it behind the closed doors so it is possible to reset
    but not
    > to read.
    > This is how LDAP works and not different from any modern
    directory server.

    Keep in mind that the Kerberos keys are additionally encrypted with a
    master password, so reading the attribute alone is useless.

    Simo.

    --
    Simo Sorce * Red Hat, Inc * New York