I am glad you have it working. However, I would like to discourage from this another method as this way, you would need to maintain uniqueMember attribute yourself. FreeIPA only maintains the "member" attribute.

I would recommend using the Gianluca's method in
http://www.freeipa.org/page/HowTo/vsphere5_integration

with taking users and groups from compat tree. This way, you will have uniqueMember populated when you do changes to the group using FreeIPA CLI or UI.

If it was not working for you in the past, note that we identified a change today that needs to be done with FreeIPA 4.0+:

http://www.freeipa.org/page/HowTo/vsphere5_integration#Permission_Update

Martin