From: freeipa-users-boun...@redhat.com
[mailto:freeipa-users-boun...@redhat.com] On Behalf Of Guertin, David S.
Sent: Friday, March 06, 2015 1:04 PM
To: freeipa-users@redhat.com
Subject: [Freeipa-users] Can't add AD user group to IPA group

I'm on my second attempt trying to set up an IPA server with a trust
relationship to our AD domain. The first attempt had inexplicable problems with
winbind, so this time I've set up a RHEL7 server, and things are going better,
but I'm stuck when trying to add an AD user group to an IPA group.

I have already:

- created an IPA group called ad_users.

- created an IPA group called ad_users_external.

- added ad_users_external as a member of ad_users.

But the final step isn't working:

ipa group-add-member ad_users_external --external "AD\IPA Users"

gives:

ipa: ERROR: attribute "ipaExternalMember" not allowed

How can I fix this?

Also, I discovered that even without adding this AD group, every AD user in our
domain can SSH to the IPA server. That's convenient for the users, but not
really what I'm looking for. Why aren't logins restricted to users in the
ad_users group?

Just taking the last question...

Seems the initial/default setup for IPA server is to put in an 'allow_all'
rule. Thus you can actively manage HBAC but out of the box, it is essentially
turned off by that rule.

Craig