Actually, I stumbled across this which explains everything you need to do
to get sudo working on Centos6 clients.
https://www.redhat.com/archives/freeipa-users/2013-June/msg00064.html

I have had to kind of scratch together bits of information from various
sources including this list (thanks!!) but we are trying to do all of this
automated with saltstack which is a bit of a challenge.

Thanks,

Andrew