Yes, that is right. I added the users with ipa user-add [username]
--setattr userpassword={crypt}yourencryptedpass

Actually, the authentication does work for the users added this way. i.e.
Without making any changes to NIS clients. I just repurposed the NIS server
to be the IPA server, turned off the ypserv & yppasswd service, and enabled
the slapi-nis plugin. So far so good, and the NIS clients continue to
function normally. i.e. The NIS plugin on the IPA server DOES distribute
the cryptpasses. I also didn't expect the old NIS clients to authenticate
any new users added to IPA directly, and that is all right. I just want the
clients to function for the existing users until they are migrated. The
only thing that is slightly puzzling is that a couple of users have been
migrated unintentionally, so to speak.

A user can be explicitly migrated to IPA if (s)he generates the kerberos
keys, at which point the slapi-nis stops distributing the crypt pass for
that user. This is what I have observed so far, and it sounds reasonable.
(This can also be confirmed with ipa user-show, which in case of these old
users shows "Kerberos keys available: False", which turns to True once
properly migrated. It can also be confirmed from the webui. The old
password won't work in the webui until migrated, and once migrated, NIS
cryptpasses will stop working).

However, what I'm seeing is that in a couple of cases, the users have been
migrated to IPA automatically. Their status shows Kerberos keys available:
True, and their cryptpasses have changed to * in ypcat passwd's output.