For LDAP-only clients, I see an issue with performance on the dirsrv backends, and much of it has to do with 2 things:

1. Anonymous binds (1000's because of 7000+ hosts)
2. unindexed searches <-- perhaps the biggest problem and working on troubleshooting that and figuring out how to fix it.

Thank you
~J