On 05/14/2015 10:15 AM, David Little wrote:
Hi there,

I was reading this document regarding using 3rd party certificates in FreeIPA:

https://www.freeipa.org/page/Using_3rd_part_certificates_for_HTTP/LDAP

Which includes the information "The certificate in mysite.crt must be signed by the CA used when installing FreeIPA."

Also this thread: http://www.redhat.com/archives/freeipa-users/2014-August/msg00338.html

Which says at the end " I'm wondering if it's because of this from the doc "The certificate in mysite.crt must be signed by the CA used when installing FreeIPA." but it might not either...

 In this case you should get a "file.p12 is not signed by
 /etc/ipa/ca.crt, or the full certificate chain is not
 present in the PKCS#12 file" error in ipa-server-certinstall."

This brings me to my question... If I have an existing multi-server FreeIPA setup with multiple IPA client installations, using a self-signed CA certificate for /etc/ipa/ca.crt, would I need to start over the FreeIPA installation from scratch using the public root CA, which signed the wildcard certificate?

Thanks,
Dave

Did you get an answer?
If not starting 4.1 IPA has a tool that can change the chaining and also convert from CA-less to CA-full. I am not sure it can do the reverse so you might in fact have to start over.
http://www.freeipa.org/page/V4/CA-less_to_CA-full_conversion

--
Thank you,
Dmitri Pal

Director of Engineering for IdM portfolio
Red Hat, Inc.